Skip to main content

Daily walk encounters...

It was a bright sunny afternoon, we decided to take Amber out for a little walk as well as tabao(takeaway) our lunch today. While my husband went to order our lunch, I was sitting on a bench with Amber looking at passer-bys. Quite a number of people noticed Amber and said she's so cute and etc etc... Then suddenly, a man in his 30s? approached and said: "Your dog looks thirsty. You should get her some water."

I told him "We just out from our house like 5-10mins ago, she's ok."

He said, "No, look at her keep sticking out her tongue, I'm sure she's VERY thirsy."

I kept quiet.

He continued "I had a dog before so trust me, you should get her some water now don't torture this poor little dog, or why not I buy some water for her instead."

Ok, I was pretty annoyed by this kind of assumption so I replied "She's fine! My husband is coming, we're going back now."

After hearing this, he left.

Amber rarely stop sticking out her tongue, it can mean a lot of things other than being thirsty. We have her water bottle in her playpen yet she still sticks out her tongue without drinking the water. Does it mean that we have to force the water down her throat so she won't get dehydrated? I do understand if cats stick out their tongue it usually mean they need water but dogs do that whole day long!

This is not the first time people lecture us for "why do this" and "why don't you do that". I encountered quite a number of people telling me what to do while walking Amber. Probably because we are a young couple and own a puppy? My husband had experience with many dogs in the past even though we did not own one together before. I remember there was one time an auntie came to us and told us not to use a leash to walk Amber. She said we were HURTING Amber's neck and leash will choke her. However, my Amber is very fine walking with leash. She has been with leash for almost 3 months now and she is still in good health and active. A lot of people like to assume things, especially those that thought they had pets of their own so they are always right. Well, they are still wrong at times, incorrect assumption will only lead to bad behaviour and unhealthy dogs. Not properly trained dog need to use a LEASH to teach them and also stop accidents. And when they are properly trained, you don't even need a leash or anything to walk them!

There was another time while I was walking Amber around my block, I saw a pregnant lady with a red male toy poodle walking towards us. And guess what, the toy poodle was walking without a leash and walked side by side with his owner. I was amazed. I stopped and had a little chat with her. She told me that her toy poodle is only 1 yr old and has no trouble walking him without a leash now. She also told me that puppy need to walk everyday, train them how to walk well and when they reach teenage-hood, they will be more obedience. I totally agreed! 

I do hope people out there especially with dogs/pups will understand through this post, dogs have been walked on a leash for many years and it has been proven right. If you do not teach your dogs when there is a chance, they might be prone to accidents outside and even get lost. Maybe in future if someone repeats the same thing, I have to reply that "I had over 10 years of experience training dogs, do you need help?". LOL!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First time to Pasir Ris Farmway (Pet Farm)

04 Feb, my husband's colleague decided to get another puppy so he drove us to Pasir Ris Farmway to look for puppy since we wanted one as well. He already has a 1 year Male Yorkshire Terrier so he was looking for another breed to accompany his Yorkshire. The farm was really hard to get to if you do not drive a car, unless you don't mind calling a cab. It's in the deepest part of the road and there ain't any buses around. When we first went to the first shop at farmway 02, we met a very stuck-up pet owner. Very "hao lian(proud)" with his puppies and even said all his prices are very CNY, all ended with $xx88 which means good luck for the Chinese people. We saw a pretty red toy poodle but it was sold, so the shop owner told us to buy his other puppies instead since all his puppies are so-called "high quality". I think that shop was kinda overpriced for every puppy that he quoted. One of the pups that he was selling, poodle was just besides it, seek

How to take care of your dog before and after Spay/Neuter

Many owners, especially first timers have no idea how to take care of their dogs after spay/neuter operation, owners that do not know what to expect could easily be traumatize by the experience along with their dog. This is why we have decided to come up with a tutorial on how to take proper care of your dog during the healing process. Before deciding on spaying/neutering your dog, it is good to first read up the pros and cons of doing it, don't spay/neuter your dog just because other people do it, check it up, study about it and take some time to decide. Amber at 6 months old

Something to share - Leash Training

Came across this sad incident shared by people at facebook. *Appeal for witnesses* Pet husky killed by cab in hit-and-run at Old Jurong Rd STOMPer David's husky was knocked down and killed by a taxi at Old Jurong Road on Saturday (Jun 30). The STOMPer is appealing for witnesses of the hit-and-run accident who caught sight of the taxi's licence plate. Said David: "Sincerely seeking for car drivers that witnessed the accident which caused the death of my sister’s husky. "Hope to find drivers who can remember the hit-and-run cab driver's car plate number. "The accident occurred on Saturday (30 Jun 2012), around 3pm. My sister had brought him out for a walk. "My sister’s dog (Ah Boy) was knocked down by a yellow cab at Old Jurong Road, from Bukit Batok towards Upper Bukit Timah Road. "Apparently, something startled ah boy, and he walked onto the road. There were a few cars then, and ALL cars on the road managed to stop at a distance, without mu