Today noon, before we got out of home i decided to fill up the water for my pet rabbit Chocolate, as i took out the water bottle, i saw that Chocolate was not moving, i called her name for awhile, i tap her cage and then i inspect closer and saw some ants around her. I knew that she was gone, Chocolate is already 6 this year and she seemed weak, old and thin these few months. She was a really strong rabbit, only got sick about 3 times all her life, twice was when she got wry-neck, a symptom that causes rabbit to tilt their head sideways, vet told us the first time that she would never heal and her head would be like this forever, and would have to put her down if her pain is unbearable. But within a week of taking pills that help her to heal her nerves, she got well and looked good just like a young healthy rabbit! This happened twice in her lifetime and she still got well after. Another time was when she weak and didn't move as much as usual, i went to pick some clovers, which all rabbits love and gave her loads of water, food and affection and she got well in just a few days. Yesterday she was still fine, begging for food and water as usual, most probably she died in her sleep at night. Chocolate was in her sleeping position, putting her body next to the wooden block she loves, only that she closed her eyes, her chin on her paws, she didn't even look like she is gone. It was really like sleeping, she looked beautiful in such a way that we could feel that she went peacefully.
We bought Chocolate when she was already 3 months old at Pets Safari Simei, that was in 2006 December, i agree that Chocolate was bought on impulse, we didn't know much about rabbits, how to train them, groom them and their characteristics and breed. All we know is that we would feed her, bring her for grooming once in a while and let her out whenever we are free. But now we understood, there are much more to animals than just taking good care of them. You need to research on every single thing on your pet, how it behaves, what type of food is best, which vet to go to etc. We had some troubles throughout, but we persevered and researched and did our best in giving Chocolate the best life we can. We changed her cage 4 times throughout and tried different treats and brands of food, and later bought a wooden board to shape it like a hole for her to feel safe, we tried to let her out alone but she would always hide under the sofa or in the corner, she seemed really timid. But she is really strong, she always pushes my hand away when i try to clean her cage, but once there is food, she would ignore everything else! We decided to never get a rabbit again, we feel that they are not suitable for homes like ours in Singapore where we do not have a yard, our area is also very cramp and small, they could have enjoyed more running in the grass and playing with their friends. She moved house with us once and we even thought of bringing her with us to our new home soon, we even thought of getting a new big cage and i have also prepared 6 big packs of bedding and some extra food to last her throughout the year. She decided to leave us early and peacefully though, Chocolate has went through thick and thin with us, we are really proud to have her as our pet and we hope she feels the same.
Chocolate when she was younger
R.I.P Chocolate we love you and will never forget you.
Chocolate went to heaven in her favorite position